Thursday, February 17, 2011

mixed blood:

     If you are from Puerto Rico and you look back at your ancestry for sure you will find at least one person of each of these races: Spanish, Indians, and Africans. Our history begins with the arrival of the Spanish conquerors to America in search for gold. Their desire for wealth, fame and pride led them to take the indigenous population almost to the point of extinction. The decrease of the laboring hand forced them to bring the third mayor racial influence, the Africans. Even though there are other countries from where people immigrated to Puerto Rico those are the three most prominent.

     In my family there is no one that looks a like due to the racial variation. My mother heritage is from Spanish planters that settled in Cayey, as clearly seen in their pale skin, light eyes, and blond hair; but we do not have to go that far to see an example of immigration since my grad parent migrated to the United States in search of a better job, they settled there for a few year then, just like many of the immigrants to the U.S. they returned to Puerto Rico and settled in Guayama where they lived until they parted. As for my father’s heritage I don’t know much but from tails that my grandmother told me they were Spanish miners that lived in Barranquitas.

     My family has a lot of Spanish influence when it comes to our appearance but just like everyone else in the island, somewhere in my blood line there are Indians and Africans as well. I am proud of my heritage since thanks to them I am here now living a life full of liberties that many other people in the world don't have.

1 comment:

  1. This is really interesting to learn about, thanks for sharing! Great job on your blog, Albert!

    ReplyDelete