Thursday, February 17, 2011

Takeo Hayashi liberty journey:


March 4, 1909:

                        After almost two years of absence in Japan my father has return to our small mountain village, to take us to America. We have been preparing for this journey almost a year from now, and today is the day we part to America. We traveled miles to a small city in the east coast of Japan. There we boarded a big ship and began our oversea journey, to this place called America. I hold my tears as I saw our home land disappear under the blue waves of the Pacific Ocean, knowing that I would not see it for a long time.

June 5, 1909: 

                        Today after month on sea we have arrived at a small island at the coat of what my father said is California. My father had to leave us in this island until mom, my big brother and I were allowed to enter the country.
                        It is night time and my brother and I have been separated from our mom, and sent to a room where we had to spend the next couple of days. This day has gone so slow and I my boredom grow by the minute.  

August 12, 1909: 

                        It has been almost a week since we were allowed in the United States. It is so hard to feet in especially since I do not know that much English. At the table I have asked my father several times, “Why couldn’t we go back to Japan?” he would always say, “Going back is not an option; that here we, his sons, could achieve more.” Tomorrow we start in Asian middle school, and I cannot wait to meet new friends.

August 4, 1910:

                        Today my dad’s restaurant was rubbed for the second time since we got to America. I asked my father: “Why they do this?” and hi responded: “They fell threatened by us.” I do not understand why are we hated so much, and why don’t they understand that we could not go home.
                        After school and the incident at the restaurant we gathered at home to commemorate our first day as a family in America. This new life has been hard, but we have managed to finish our first year at it well and together.  I am afraid for what this new year could bring, but I am ready for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment